Tuesday 29 October 2013

I WANT THE NIQAB BANNED!!!

NO I DON'T!!!

I hope that grabbed your attention.
You will probably know from the title that this blog post will be about the Niqab (the veil that covers the face revealing mainly the eyes) and the latest heated issue about it being banned.

(Before I start, this post is a late one as I was away on the weekend, meeting new people and taking part in workshops. In two weeks time I will be away for a week on an international exchange in Lake District with people from Palestine, Israel, Indonesia, Pakistan, US and the UK to talk and learn about conflicts and cultures.)

Firstly, my view on the Niqab ban... I think that it is pointless. The ladies of this Ummah are strong and will not step down and give up their veil because a few guys who have nothing to do said do. Psshhttt. Plus, there are so many other things in society that need sorting (eg) Big girls wearing transparent leggings with a vest top (this needs to be banned and burnt) or girls who go out wearing next to nothing, however it seems as though the Niqab is the biggest threat in society at the moment.
People are afraid of a few ladies wearing a Niqab? El Oh El.
I do not wear the Niqab nor do I wear the Hijab (Headscarf). But I can tell you, the ladies wearing these pieces of cloths are 100 times more beautiful than a lady who is not in veil.
I don't know why, but I like the sense of mysteriousness when I speak to a sister wearing the Niqab. Eyes can tell a story which the mouth cannot. Happiness, sorrow, guilt, serenity. As much as I want to see their face, I would rather know what they are like because the heart matters more than the face.

Islamically, as far as my understanding goes, and feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but the Niqab is not compulsory. Covering the hair with a head scarf is compulsory and is written in the Qur'an however the Niqab is not. This is a choice that is given and no one is forced, so do not even once think that the men of Islam are forcing their women to wear the Niqab. (Maybe in other countries the women are made to wear it but it is done for the protection of the women. But the West have managed to brainwash people and make it look like a negative thing. This does not apply to the people of the UK so I won't go into detail.) We live in a so called 'democratic' country yet the freewill to dress modestly is being discussed to be taken away.
I don't understand this logic.

I understand that in work places such as school and dealing with customers, the Niqab isn't the wisest choice, however, it does not mean that it should get banned. In Islam it says that we should follow the laws and rules of the place that we live in. And in certain places such as schools, it is alright to remove the Niqab so people can see your face.
In secondary school, in the last year, we had a replacement teacher and it was only after a few weeks when we saw her out of school, we realised that she wore the Niqab. She did not complain against the school policy but instead she calmly removed her Niqab before entering the school and placed it back on her face at the end of the day when leaving.

Many of you may or may not have watched the Channel 4 debate on the Niqab ban. It is surprising to see even Muslims being against the ban. But people are entitled to their own opinions even if it is stupid and makes no sense. There is something that one of the sister's said which was a good point.
They want to ban the veil due to communication problems. However, not all work places need face-to-face communications such as a call centre. People don't know how other people look when speaking on the phone yet they are still able to communicate. Whether someone wears or doesn't wear the Niqab will not make a difference. Therefore the Niqab does not need to be banned in all public places.

(Watch the debate if you haven't done so)
http://www.channel4.com/news/debate-should-british-women-wear-the-niqab-video

Just to wrap up this blog, I would like to say, it does take a lot of courage for a lady to walk the streets with her face covered, to keep her gaze low and to stay modest in a society where modesty is frowned upon and where nudity is seen as a good deed. The Hijab is an act of faith, a symbol, for all the world to see, a simple cloth to preserve the dignity. (A bit of Dawud Wharnsby Ali - The Veil http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg_8-LPq5qY )
So, keep it on sisters and do not get threatened. Wearing the Niqab in this society is your jihad and you will wear it regardless of the struggle.
I have spent times in my college prayer room with girls my age who wore/wear the Niqab and they are some of the nicest people I have met, I swear to God. And do not think that because a lady is covered up, she is restricted in everything. No. These sisters used to have jokes and their laughter used to make me end up in fits. Some sisters I used to know, used to run around and take part in sports. The Hijab never restricts anyone in anything, it is other people who restrict these Hijabis/Niqabis.

As always, I hope I have not offended any person out there.
I hope that if you had negative views on the Niqab, that this changed your mind a little and if you had positive views about the Niqab then yaay :)

A late Salaam Saturday
Sayonara
Ma'as Salama
Au Revoir.
Tata.
Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment