Monday 27 April 2015

Health & Fitness - The Midnight Run

I am still in pain from a short run on Saturday night.
I underestimated the length and I though 'Ah 8km. I could do that in my sleep' but I was wrong!!!
It did not help that I hadn't eaten properly throughout the day and I didn't run with water as I normally do. The weather on the other hand was amazing to run in. Not too hot and not too cold.
Believe it or not, I had to drag my sister out of bed to do this run but she was one of the first to finish it.
I came first - backwards (Which means I came last)
There was only about 20 of us so not a big group at all. We started running at 11.45pm with stops here and there. We started of on Old Street and went through some of the iconic sights in London.
Stop at Smithfield Market


I did really well and kept up to pace with the group. The pace was faster than I had thought it would be but the stops we had allowed me to catch up with my breath. We had the pace makers run with music so it was pretty fun.

At around 6km, I felt my right thigh cramp a bit, but I thought NO SALMA!!! Do not stop.
Then my right calm cramped a bit and then my left. Before I could take another step, I actually had to sit on the ground and was uttering as follows 'oh F*** f*** S**t'. One of the guys had to come and stretch me out.
Stop at Tower Hill
I managed to jog a few more hundred metres before my legs gave in again. We were actually not so far from the finish
line which was back at Old Street. Unfortunately, I had to walk the rest of the way.
The problem was, I had not stretched out properly before I had even started and due to not regularly running or exercising, my body was not used to the sudden long distance (which by the way I am not bad at).
Even though I was not struggling with my breathing, I don't think my muscles were getting oxygen hence the build up of Lactic Acid.
If only you could
see the pain I was in
I felt so disappointed in myself for not being able to jog the last kilometre or so but this has motivated to try and do the next midnight run and to keep up with running.
To be honest, I think the London Marathon runners who ran 26.2 miles on Sunday, have recovered faster than I have.
Other than the cramps, the pain and the struggle of walking down the stairs, the run was fun and
London is a beautiful city at night.
Pre-Stretch, sort of
The run finished at around 12.45am (1.15am for me) and let me note the importance of stretching. STRETCHING IS IMPORTANT!!! there.
While I was in bed, after the run, my foot cramped up along with my calfs and it is bloody scary. I thought I had to amputate my leg but all I needed to do was stretch more.




It turns out the run was not just 8km but 9.86km. Neearly a 10km.
I would do this run again! (It happens every month by the way) and I would recommend ya'll to do it.

Peace out!

Follow my personal and social Instagram pages for pictures and updates.

More blog posts will be coming your way soon. (Next one will be on acne)

No comments:

Post a Comment