Friday 6 February 2015

Birthday Girl (February Blogging Challenge)

Probably when I was one years old
IT'S MY BIRTHDAY, IT'S MY BIRTHDAY...
But that isn't going to stop me from posting today.
Sadly, I am no longer a teen but I am still 20 years young... that's younger than millions of you out there.
However, one must appreciate the beauty of ageing as it is a privilege denied to many. With age comes new experiences and new lessons. 'Experience teaches what no teacher taught'.


Family Traditions
My special day started four minutes before 12:00...
The tradition of birthday beats applies in this house and is taken rather seriously.
There is no escaping the punches, kicks, pillow beats and sometimes, the odd weapon comes out. (We've had: baseball bats, a samurai sword, boxing gloves, butter knives & even a saw... Do not try at home)
As I tried to make my narrow escape from the bathroom to my bedroom, I realised I was to be attacked by five monsters (my brother and four sisters). Luckily my father (my saviour last night) came to my rescue and became my human shield as the monsters attempted to grab me. I was caught from behind but made an escape. As I ran up, my father blocked the passage way cutting of access to the horrible monsters. I could hear their footsteps and conversations outside my door and the lie 'OK, we're going now'. Haha. I wasn't going to fall for that. Finally minutes after 12:00, one had to visit the little girls room and that is where I was doomed. It's OK. The self defence I taught my self in my room had come to use. I gave them as good as I got.
So entering my twentieth birthday was pretty … what's the word … hectic?


Blessings
But all in all, I am blessed to have such an amazing family by my side to give me such an entrance to a new age. I thank my mother for giving me birth and spending her life raising me to become who I am today. I thank my father for giving up so much and working hard to provide me with the basics and luxuries I may want. I thank my siblings for sticking by me through the thick and the thin, scoulding me and motivating me and being there whenever I have wanted a punching bag. 
May there be many more years to come.

Me today... Birthday cake...
All grown up
I find it hard to believe that I am actually 20 but still spent the morning of my birthday watching Disney Channel. Some things will never vanish no matter how old you get.
It's weird to see myself as a grown woman, 20 years old, having learnt so many lessons throughout my years, having had so many experiences throughout my years, being there for family and friends and having them by my side when needed. I think one thing that makes you realise how much you've grown up is when your family give you a chance and listen to you when making big decisions. As a kid, what we say doesn't really matter.
My tomboy years of wearing boys clothes (still applies to some extent till this day), beating the girls, using the boys facilities in my early years are all behind me, everything I've ever done, all the tears I've cried and laughter I've laughed are all memories now and I am on a mission to create more memories.



Let us make use of every year. We don't want to look back in another 20 - 30 years time and regret things we may have or have not done.
"A man who views the world the same as fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life". Muhammad Ali.
Oh something to note... me and Bob Marley share the same birthday... We are both Buffalo soldiers :D



If you haven't already, read my previous blog
http://salaamsalma.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/this-is-me-february-blogging-challenge.html

Follow me on:
Instagram: SalmaKhatun95 & SalaamSalma
Twitter: SalmaKhatun95

1 comment: