Monday 30 November 2015

Humans In My Life - My Muslim Parents

"Today I was attacked.
By a woman in a head scarf and a man wearing a beard and a hat.
Today I was attacked and if your first thoughts were 'by Muslims',
You are correct. 
Today a man and a woman attacked me.
They called me names and caught me.
They put their arms around me, tight, and didn't let go for a long time. 
I could smell their scent and hear their heart beat. 
I was that close.
I managed to escape but I had tears coming down my eyes 
And my stomach was in pain. 
This could have been an act of terror but let me explain.
Today I woke up and went downstairs.
My mother and father were sat in the kitchen dining on french toast and honey. She wears the headscarf and he wears a beard and a hat. 
My father embraced me with a hug, a tight hug, I could smell the unperfumed scent of his clothes and hear his heavy heart beat.
My mother hugged me, tight also. I could smell the fried bread on her clothes and hear her delicate heart beat. 
They called me names. The cute nicknames one calls their child by.
They argued over something so childish, they bickered and mocked one another. I laughed.
I cried from laughing and left with my stomach in pain. 
I was attacked today
By my mother and father. 
I was attacked with love. 
Lots of love. 
I was attacked with love by two muslims who are my parents.
If you thought otherwise I blame media for brain washing your narrow minds.
Do not pre judge".
S.R.Khatun

My first two 'Humans In My Life' blog posts were on my parents but after the Paris attacks I felt the need to write this poem to represent what it is really like living with Muslims and how Muslim families operate. My parents pray five times a day, my mother wears the headscarf (as does the Virgin Mary when she is portrayed in Church and other religious places). My father has a beard as our beloved final Prophet (Peace be upon him) had and wears the hat Muslim men sometimes wear. . (The beard has become some sort of a fashion trend amongst Western men yet many of them discriminate Muslim men who have it.) 
No one in my house is an 'extreme' Muslims nor is anyone 'Liberal'. I don't even know what an extreme or liberal Muslim but the media seems to refer to certain Muslims as these. 
We are like a normal family. We watch telly, we joke with one another and sing happy songs together. We sit around the table together at dinner time and have family days out. So if you want to know what a Muslim family is like or how individuals are, please do not pre judge us based on what you see in the media. They do not represent us. We come in all shapes and colours, in different moods, different styles and different mind frames.

Check out my last blog post:
The blog post on my mother:
The blog post on my father:

Follow my personal and social Instagram pages for pictures and updates.



No comments:

Post a Comment