Thursday 5 November 2015

Humans In My Life - Zakia


"I have always been a person who always got what she wanted in one form or another and I feel very grateful for this and appreciate the little things in life. Having said this I am not a spoilt person and the things I want in life are simple. 

When I was a child, I have always been a girly girl, loved wearing dresses and playing with dolls unlike my other sisters. Growing up in a deprived area and being a member of a large family you make do with what you get, like hand me downs.
It's every girls dream to have a dolls house to play with, unfortunately my parents could not afford those kind of toys for us, it was more of going out playing in the park until dark. 


I longed and dreamt of having a dolls house which I could house my funny looking trolls and dolls. 

One day an opportunity at school came up at wood-work to make animals out of wood and make a storage for them. 
I put my thinking cap on and built a wooden house for a sheep which fit the project requirement. 
I made my sheep house with a pointed roof with a chimney and windows so the sheep can look out and painted it pink just like a dolls house. 
My sheep house was displayed in school and I longed for the that term to end quick, so I could take it home. 
Once I got my sheep house home, the sheep disappeared and my trolls and dolls took residency in the wooden house. So finally I got my dolls house, it gave me much joy as it did my twin sister and we played for hours and made fire places and beds out of paper and made up stories.  
My dolls house didn't quite look the ones in the shop but I made it and took joy in playing with it. When I look back I realise this was a good lesson. When you think out the box you can alway get what you want and in my case it was a dolls house which started off as a sheep house".

From me to you: I think old is gold and I wish I had grown up in an era without gadgets and technology. However, I can only experience the simplicity of your hay days through your stories. 
Seeing you as I have grown up, I can see how hard you work to make a living. Time to time you treat yourself and why not? You value things more when you work hard for it and like the dolls house you made, the effort you put into it, and the pride you had at the end is exactly the same now when you accomplish something or get a new handbag or a pair of shoes. It shows how grateful you are even for the smallest things. I am glad you experienced the life where things were not handed on a plate because you have taught me to appreciate everything I have. You've taught how to make do with what I have and with patience and endurance, I can get what I have longed for.  


Check out my last blog post:

Follow my personal and social Instagram pages for pictures and updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment