Sunday 8 November 2015

Humans In My Life - Rukiyah

"I have always been fortunate to have amazing women around me.
One of these women was my Grandma (Bibiji). She was a strong woman who served up love with every look, smile and hug. She told the best stories adding her own hilarious twist to them. Anyhow when we were children and our teeth began to fall, it was my Grandpa who had the magic hands that would pull our baby teeth out without us even realising. So when my bottom teeth started to wobble my Grandma thought she would give my Grandpa a run for his money and pull out my bottom baby tooth.
The only thing was my tooth didn't quite come out so easily, instead my gums sort of came out with the tooth. We rushed to the bathroom as there was a lot of blood and my Grandma felt bad. I was treated extra special by my family over the next few days even though I was perfectly fine.
As I grew up my bottom set of teeth grew in all sorts of 'wonky' ways. I smile often but people don't really notice my bottom teeth and even though I could have gotten braces and straightened them out, I have always chosen not to. I see my wonky teeth as a legacy from my Grandma. A strange legacy I know, but the truth is, in that wonky smile lies imperfection moulded by love. Life is imperfect although we try to make it the best, but whilst always searching we might miss out the subtle imperfections around us. When I remember the story of my tooth, it makes me so happy, after all, my Grandma was only trying to help and so often we get the opportunity to help others but we  are too scared to put ourselves forward. But even if we get it wrong, it's better to attempt to do our bit to help this world in whichever way we can than to sit back with perfectly straight teeth afraid to act".


From me to you: It is rather strange yet so endearing how you see this in a positive light. It shows the love you have for you grandmother. You are lucky to have had this 'magic' touch which will be with you forever (unless you lose your front teeth), but those around you are even lucky to get to see the legacy she has left behind everytime you smile. And you smile a lot which is a gift to us. 
Often we dwell on our image and we only see imperfections and within those imperfections it is difficult to pull something positive out. If everyone had a story behind their imperfections like yours, people would be more confident to let it shine and stand out. 

Check out my last blog post:

Follow my personal and social Instagram pages for pictures and updates.


No comments:

Post a Comment